Storm King's Thunder
Human Paladin, Oath of Vengeance
Name: Rhyian Alcott Player: Alice
Class: Paladin 5 Sacred Oath: Oath of Vengeance
Background: Soldier Specialty: Officer
Race: Human Size: Medium Height: 6’1" Weight: 160 lbs.
Gender: Male Hair: Red Eyes: Hazel-Brown Skin: Peach
Age: 31 Alignment: Neutral Good Faith: Torm
Strength: 16 | +3
Dexterity: 14 | +2
Constitution: 16 | +3
Intelligence: 12 | +1
Wisdom: 12 | +1
Charisma: 12 | +1
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Hit Points: 36 Current Hit Points: 36
Temporary Hit Points: 0 Miserable: 0
Armor Class: 16 Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 feet. Passive Perception: 14
- Wisdom +4
- Charisma +6
- Athletics +7
- Insight +4
- Intimidation +6
- Perception +4
- Persuasion +6
- Personality Traits: Where I live, I am somewhat known in my neighborhood for caring for all the stray animals that live in the area. My former troops used to joke that I was more like a father to them than a commanding officer.
- Ideal: The innocent and the weak must be fought for; the goodness inherent in this world must be protected.
- Bonds: The military was my heart and my home for a very long time. I will always be grateful to them for allowing me a chance to prove myself… and I will always regret leaving their ranks for alcohol’s siren song. A Dwarven couple by the names of Myra and Brisken took my sorry drunken self under their wings, cleaned me up, and gave me a place to stay while I got back on my feet. I owe them everything.
- Flaw: Alcohol was first a friend, then a poison. It sickened my mind, turned me violent, and made me a wretch, no better than the drunkards I used to trounce. I can no longer drink it, though it still calls to me sometimes, whispering promises of ‘better days’.
- Halberd | +6 | 1d10 +3 Slashing
- Shortsword | +6 | 1d6 +3 Piercing
Features and Traits
- Feat: Polearm Master. You can keep your enemies at bay with reach weapons.
- Divine Sense. The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears.
- Lay on Hands. Your blessed touch can heal wounds.
- Military Rank. You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. SoIdiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence, and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.
- Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting. When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
- Spellcasting. You have learned to draw on divine magic through meditation and prayer to cast spells as a cleric does.
- Divine Smite. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage.
- Divine Health. The divine magic flowing through you makes you immune to disease.
- Sacred Oath: Oath of Vengeance. Oath of Vengeance is a solemn commitment to punish those who have committed a grievous sin. When evil forces slaughter helpless villagers, when an entire people turns against the will of the gods. when a thieves’ guild grows to a violent and powerful, when a dragon rampages through the countryside – at times like these, paladins arise and swear an Oath of Vengeance to set right that which has gone wrong. To these paladins – sometimes called avengers or dark knights – their own purity is not as important as delivering justice.
- Channel Divinity: Abjure Enemy. As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of denunciation, using your Channel Divinity.
- Channel Divinity: Vow of Enmity. As a bonus action, you can utter a vow of enmity against a creature you can see within 10 feet of you, using your Channel Divinity.
- Feat: Sentinel. You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy’s guard.
- Extra Attack. You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
- Level 1: bane, bless, command, wrathful smite
- Level 2: find steed, magic weapon
Equipment: Chain mail, halberd, explorer’s pack, holy symbol (amulet), officer’s insignia, stolen sword (token of a fallen enemy), deck of cards, common clothes, and a belt pouch.
Platinum Pieces: 0 Gold Pieces: 665 Electrum Pieces: 0
Silver Pieces: 0 Copper Pieces: 0
Other Proficiencies & Languages
- Proficiencies: All armor, shields, simple weapons, martial weapons, gaming set, vehicles (land).
- Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarven.
- Skill: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
- I was born to a farmer’s family, the eldest son among three sisters. From an early age, my mother liked to tell me stories of heroes and adventures, legends of the gods, and epic battles; stories passed on down through the ages. Somehow, I knew I was destined to follow in those footsteps.
- When I came of age, I left my humble town for the big city, with only my savings and my clothes on my back. I was excited to find my way in the ‘real world’, but my hopes were dashed when nobody would give me a job.
- In desperation, I turned to the city’s local military for a living, and they accepted me into their ranks. The training was hard, the work harder, but I came to appreciate it and the bonds I was building with my fellow soldiers.
- Over the years, I worked my way up through the ranks. I always treated the soldiers under my command well, and let them be my conscience when otherwise I could have easily fallen to my own ego.
- Our commander tasked us with an important mission, but my group became separated from the main force by our wily opponent. This foe cut down every single one of my men, and was able to steal my eye, trying to use it for some dark ritual. Struck by heavenly inspiration, I took him down, and claimed his sword as a reminder to myself of what happened.
- Burdened by the loss, I took all the blame and left the military. I started to drink away my feelings, hiding my shame with alcohol and the pity of tavern-goers. I used it all as a crutch to avoid facing my failures, but kept making more as I picked fights and made temporary enemies.
- At my lowest point, a Dwarven couple took me into their inn and gave me a place to stay. They forced me to quit drinking, and helped me through my withdrawals. They even gave me a job, and shoulders to lean on, when I felt like I had nobody else.
- Even after this, I still felt as if I was missing something in my life. I decided to replace the hole my dependency left with service to the gods. I reached out through prayer to find the answer, and was answered by Torm. I went to his temple and swore to become a paladin that day.
- I spend most of my time helping around the temple, and occasionally traveling to near-by cities and towns to assist in the temples there, but I feel in my heart that Torm will call upon me and send me into battle once again. This time, I am ready.